Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
Acts of the Visit of the Royal Commissioners (Auto de la general visita) was transcribed from archives in Mexico. These volumes record the distribution of land by the royal Spanish commissioners in 1767 to the Rio Grande settlements of Laredo, Mier, Camargo, Revilla (later Guerrero), and Reynosa, which were established by José de Escandón. About 170 of the porciones granted to individual settlers at that time are located within the present boundaries of Texas.
The collection contains research material compiled by Holly Hewlett, pertaining to the 1966 La Casita Farms worker strike as well as the involvement of Archbishop Robert E. Lucey of San Antonio and the Catholic Church. The collection consists primarily of photocopies of newspaper articles, photocopies of records and correspondence, three oral history interviews on cassette tape, and Hewlett’s honors thesis presentation.
Includes chronology of local and national news items, original manuscript of his book: "Echoes from the Rio Grande" including original illustrations, and a scrapbook of photographs with commentary.
Collection contains research material collected by Victor Morava primarily concerning South Texas, including clippings and photocopies of newspaper, magazine and journal articles, and hand-written or typed notes. Victor Morava also donated maps which have been cataloged separately with the series title: "Map Collection. Morava."
- Lower Rio Grande Valley (Tex.)--History 2
- Colonization 1
- Crime--Rio Grande Valley. 1
- Criminals--Rio Grande Valley. 1
- Edinburg (Tex.)--History. 1
- Frontier and pioneer life--Rio Grande Valley. 1
- Hidalgo County (Tex.) 1
- Hidalgo County (Tex.)--History. 1
- Land grants--Mexico 1
- Land grants--Texas 1
- Law enforcement--Rio Grande Valley. 1
- Lower Rio Grande Valley (Tex.) 1
- McAllen (Tex.)--History. 1
- Mercedes (Tex.)--History. 1
- Mexican-American Border Region--History. 1
- Nuevo Santander (New Spain)--History. 1
- Ranches--Texas, South--History. 1
- Rio Grande City (Tex.) 1
- Starr County (Tex.) 1 ∧ less
- Spanish; Castilian 1
- Hidalgo County Historical Commission (Tex.) 1
- Hidalgo County Historical Society. 1
- Isbell, Frances W. 1
- John Randall Peavey, 1892-1985 1
- Morava, Victor J. 1