Juneteenth Celebrations Collection
Scope and Contents
This collection contains images from the Juneteenth celebrations held in Edinburg, Texas in June 2018. The event took place at Restlawn Cemetary, a black (previously segregated) cemetary in Edinburg, Texas.
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research use. Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations. Confidential material may include, but is not limited to, educational, medical, and personnel records. Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley assumes no responsibility.
Conditions Governing Use
Materials in our collections may be protected by copyright. Publication, transmission, or reproduction of items protected by copyright beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Whenever possible, accurate information about the copyright status of material is provided in the item record and/or documentation for material in the collection. The Library does not own the copyright in much of the material in its collection and is therefore unable to grant copyright permission to publish those items. It is the researcher's responsibility to determine copyright or other use restrictions and obtain proper permission when publishing or distributing materials found in these collections. Researchers must make their own assessments of rights in light of their intended use. Additional information about copyright and fair use is available via the Library's Copyright Guide at http://utrgv.libguides.com/friendly.php?s=copyright.
Access copies are available in the ELIBR and BLIBR Special Collections' Reading Rooms.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Pastor Michael Smith of McAllen, Texas. He attended the event.
This collection has not been processed
- African American Churches Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- African Americans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Anniversaries Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Celebrations Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Liberty Subject Source: TGM II, Genre and physical characteristic terms
- Slavery--Texas Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Slaves--Emancipation--United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Kristen Weischedel
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note