Biographical / Historical
Angel Noé González was born on November 18, 1929 in Edinburg, Texas. His father, Leonides González, passed away in 1933 and his mother, Genoveva González passed away in 1943. His older sister and her husband took him and two of his brothers in and they moved to Mercedes, Texas where he graduated from High School in 1948.
He was offered a scholarship to play football and basketball at Edinburg Junior College. At the end of his first year he transferred to the University of Texas at Austin for one semester and then returned to Edinburg Junior College to play basketball during the second semester. In 1949, he returned to U.T. Austin, and graduated in 1952, with a bachelor’s degree with a major in Physical Education.
He became a classroom teacher at Relampago Common School District, teaching 4th, 5th, and 6th grade students in a self-contained setting. After one year at Relampago he obtained at teaching position in La Grulla and would travel to Rio Grande City afterschool to help out the head basketball coach.
Overall, he taught and coached grades four through twelve for ten years. He was an elementary school principles for three years and Superintendent of the Crystal City Independent Schools District for three years. Other positions held include: Director of Multilingual Programs for Oakland Unified School District in Oakland, California, Director of Multilingual Programs for Dallas Public Schools in Dallas, Texas, Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction for Dallas Public Schools, Assistant Superintendent for Multilingual Programs for Houston ISD in Houston, Texas, Deputy Superintendent for Personnel Management and Development for Houston ISD, Chief Consultant for the Texas Education Agency in Austin, Texas, Branch Chief for Program Operations at the Office of Bilingual Education in Washington, D.C., and an Educational Consultant for Comprehensive Educational Services Group, Inc..
He also authored Bilingual Education: Learning While Learning English, which was inspired by his decision to donate all of the materials he had accumulated over the last forty-three years to the University of Texas – Pan American, legacy institution of the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley.